Adult Education Licensure
While Adult Education Licensure is awarded by the State Department of Education, the Program of Study that satisfies the course requirements for Adult Education Licensure resides within the Department of Rehabilitation, Human Resources and Communication Disorders (RHRC), Program in Adult and Lifelong Learning (ADLL) at the University of Arkansas.
Adult Education Licensure requires:
1) Successful completion of the designated program of study (outlined below), which must be completed before application for licensure is made, and
2) Application for licensure through the Arkansas Department of Education.
- Course requirements are subject to change.
- Applicants must meet current licensure requirements at time of application.
- Any coursework taken for licensure can be no more than 10 years old at the time of application.
- All courses required for licensure are offered online.
- In order to register for a licensure course at the U of A, students must apply to the U of A Graduate School for admission.
Individuals seeking Adult Education licensure fall under one of two plans:
Plan 1: Applicants employed by a state approved adult education program (Additional Licensure Plan-ALP) must complete 15 credit hours of designated adult education coursework.
Plan 2: Applicants who have not been employed by a state approved adult education program must complete 15 credit hours of coursework + 3 credit hours of internship for a total of 18 credit hours.
Courses Required for Adult Education Licensure (15 Hours Required)
- ADLL 5113 Perspectives in Adult Education (Fall)
- ADLL 5123 Principles & Practices of Adult Learning (Fall)
- ADLL 5133 Curriculum Development in ABE & ASE (Spring)
- ADLL 5143 Instructional Strategies & Assessment in Adult Education (Summer)
- ADLL 5153 Organization & Administration of ADLL Programs (Spring)
Applicants who have not been employed by a state approved adult education program are required to complete the ADLL Internship.
3 Hours Required
- ADLL 5213 Internship (Spring & Fall)
*Students taking ADLL 5213 Adult and Lifelong Learning Internship should complete the required paperwork approximately three months in advance of the semester they will register for the course. A background check is required before students may register for the internship. For more information about the required background checks, please contact Myra Haulmark, Assistant Director of the Field Placement and Licensure Office of Academic Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org.
*None of the courses listed in the program of study require a prerequisite course.
- Grades: No grade below a B will be accepted for courses taken for licensure.
- Transfer Courses: A maximum of 6 credit hours may be transferred in from another institution and counted toward licensure. Program faculty approval is required for each course. No grade below a B will be accepted for these courses. Courses must be no older than 10 years in order to be counted toward licensure.
- Transition Date: Students who began taking courses for adult education licensure under the program of study in Workforce Development Education must have completed the required coursework and all application procedures by December 31, 2015. After this date, students will be required to follow the current program of study (outlined above) as approved by the Arkansas Department of Education.
Any questions regarding the application process should be directed to:
Myra Haulmark, Director of Licensure
Office of Academic Affairs
338 Graduate Education Building
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701